Dark Sun: The Scorched World of Athas
The populous city-state of Raam, once ripe and magnificant, is crumbling. There are starving rioters and violent warlords trying to control the citt. Citizens squabble over scraps of food, and fatalism wars with desperation on every filthy, decrepit street of Raam.
The hedonistic sorcerer-queen Abalach-Re has recently completed her transformation into a dragon queen and abandoned the city. Following her death, the city was thrown into complete chaos and various factions now vie for control, including…
- Leviath the Calm: an unusual half‐giant who speaks of peace and tranquility to all who would listen. His words are spoken with kindness and sincerity, and have had a profound effect on the masses, among which he has developed a large following.
- House M’Ke: seized control of as much of the city as possible. House M’ke and its army of mercenaries now control most of the merchant district. Armed bands wearing House M’ke’s colors periodically sweep through the city, looting and pillaging until they gather enough goods to fill a caravan.
- Moonrunner Elves: this group of elves‐which specializes in the “shadow arts” of espionage, assassination, and extortion‐has decided to take a more active role in Raam society. A large portion of the elf quarter and the tradesmen’s district has been taken over by the Night Runners. Besides holding and expanding their own territory, the Night Runners continue to sell their unique services to those who can afford them
- Nobles: have banded together and expanded their areas of control. Those with the power and audacity to press their advantage have grabbed whatever they could hold onto. The nobles pillage and plunder for the things they want and need to survive.
- Templars: The main body of templars occupies one camp, centered in the templar quarter of the city. Various rogue templars command smaller parts of Raam, claiming from as little as one building to as many as several blocks as their personal domains. They defend these domains with troops that were once loyal to Abalach‐Re but now follow their templar commanders.
- Veiled Alliance: The turbulent conditions in Raam haven’t made it any easier for the city’s Veiled Alliance. The preservers continue to operate in secret, but the contacts they once had in all levels of government have been lost. Nanda Shatri continues to lead the Alliance and still seeks to become a way to help restore Athas’ lost vigor.